Hitler was nominated in 1939 by E.G.C. Brandt, member of the Swedish parliament. Brandt never intended for this to be seriously considered and the nomination was withdrawn in a letter dated 1 February 1939.
What made him perform this practical joke was his astonishment over the naive and gullible praise of the British Prime Minister Chamberlain (“Peace in Our Time”) who, in Brandt’s opinion, put the whole of Europe in danger by yielding ground to Hitler in Munich in September 1938 by accepting the incorporation of Bohemia in the Third Reich.
Brandt was left in shock when he realized that most people, including the media, didn’t get his irony. Many people even wrote him telegrams and letters to express their thanks and appreciation for his nominating Hitler.
It is also interesting to know that Hitler was chosen as Time magazine’s Man of the Year for 1938.
Time had chosen him as the man who “for better or worse” (as Time founder Henry Luce expressed it) had most influenced events of the preceding year.
Previously – Which dictator killed the most people?
Some interesting facts about sex, love and the related stuff:
- The average person spends 2 weeks of its life kissing.
- For every ‘normal’ webpage, there are five porn pages.
- Sex is biochemically no different from eating large quantities of chocolate.
- A man’s beard grows fastest when he anticipates sex.
- Sex is the safest tranquilizer in the world. It is 10 times more effective than valium!
- Sex burns 360 calories per hour.
- French kissing can prevent cavities.
- 94% of men lie about their penis size. According to condom manufacturers, only 6% of men use extra large condoms.
- The average man is 5 inches long when erect.
- 95% of women shave their privates and only 16% of men do.
- Humans are the only ones who have sex face-to-face.
- Each day, there are over 120 million sexual intercourse taking place all over the world.
- Women who read romance novels have sex twice as often as those who don’t.
- Males, on average, think about sex every 7 seconds.
- 85% of men who die of heartattacks during intercourse, are found to have been cheating on their wives.
- The greatest recorded number of children one mother had was 69 children.
- The world’s youngest parents were 8 and 9 and lived in China in 1910.
- 25% of women think money makes a man sexier.
- The first couple to be shown in bed together on prime time television were: Fred and Wilma Flintstone.
- Donald Duck comics were once banned from Finland because Donald doesn’t wear pants.
- The average shelf-life of a latex condom is about two years.
- The Ramses brand condom is named after the great phaoroh Ramses II who fathered over 160 children.
- The word “gymnasium” comes from the Greek word gymnazein which means “to exercise naked.”
- Humans, bonobo monkeys, and dolphins are the only species that have sex for pleasure.
- Some lions mate over 50 times a day.
- Male and female rats may have sex twenty times a day.
- Male bats have the highest rate of homosexuality of any mammal.
- When swans go on a date, they’ll put their heads together. Then they stick together for life.
- Turkeys can reproduce without having sex. It’s called parthenogenesis.
- Snakes have two sex organs.
- A pig’s orgasm lasts for 30 minutes.
- Formicophilia is the fetish for having small insects crawl on your genitals.
- Ithyphallophobia is a morbid fear of seeing, thinking about or having an erect penis.
The amazing Facebook facts turned from infographic mode into informational motion graphics form, by Columbus College of Art & Design student Alex Timpe.