A few things to note:
- You probably don’t want to do this unless you’re actually a developer. Expect bugs.
- Only you will see your timeline at first (unless you decide otherwise), but it will automatically go public after a few days. My timeline was automatically hard-set to go public on September 29th.
- It seems that if you login into Facebook on another machine, Timeline gets disabled automatically on all of your machines. With that said, it seems you can get back to your timeline (but ONLY after following the steps below) by navigating to http://www.facebook.com/YOURUSERNAMEHERE?sk=timeline
- You’ll need to have a “verified” account for one of the steps, which means you need a credit card or phone number attached to the account.
How to turn on Facebook Timeline right now:
1. First you must have or create a Facebook App.
2. Give the app a name and URL but don’t worry about having everything correct. Once we complete this process it will enable the feature for your Facebook account and you can forget about the app all together.
3. Once your App is created, click on the App in the list on the left side of the page and then on the top right side of the page click edit app.
4. Fill out the basic information about your app with whatever information you want, make sure that you enter information in the namespace section.
5. Once you’re information is filled out and saved without error, click on “Open Graph” in the left column of the page.
6. Enter an action and an object for users to do while using your app (again, this information can be made up) and click “Get Started“.
7. Wait 2-3 minutes.
8. Go back to your Facebook homescreen. A box will appear asking if you want to get started with Facebook Timeline Beta for Developers. Enjoy!